Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What's on Wednesday... Make Your Own Resist Backgrounds


Last month Peta, Kel and I were lucky enough to go to Heidi Swapp's 'Make Pretty Stuff' in Brisbane. WOW what an amazing and inspirational lady she is. 

Today I am going to share with you a resist technique that she taught us to use with her  
Color Shine mists. 

Heidi has produced some resist products of her own, you can find them here. But this is a great way to use the stash of masks and templates that I am sure we all have. (And I have heaps!)

This is all you need to make the resists

  • Mask or Template
  • Mod Podge
  • Acrylic Paint
  •  Paint pallet (or something to mix paint in)
  • pallet knife or paddle pop stick.

I am sure we all have a bottle of mod podge somewhere in our craft stash left over from the OTP craze. If it is like mine, the lid was stuck tight. After lots of banging the lid on my desk, I finally got it open. 
You need to add equal quantities of mod podge and paint to make the resist. 

And then use it like you would do texture paste. (But a lot thinner)


Remove that mask and wash well, and wait for it to dry naturally. If you hit it with a heat gun it will bubble and look more like texture paste.

Spray with mist and leave sit for a few seconds. 
(The longer you leave it there the more intense the colour is)
Pat the sprayed area with a sheet of paper towel.


And then rub over the resist areas with a baby wipe.

 TA-DAH!
easy hey?


I was thinking about other ways you could do it and wondered what if it was possible to do a clear resist.

So, I tried it with just straight Gesso

Seeing as I was a bit heavy handed with the gesso in the pain pallett I thought I would add some green acrylic paint.
Works just the same with using other mists (eg. dylusions etc)

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment