Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Cards using Studio Calico Magical...

Hello Ladies! Hope you are all going well with the silly season well and truly in swing!

I thought I would share the Christmas Cards I have recently made using the fabulous Studio Calico Magical Range! You can find the range in the What's New Section HERE





I have used:

Studio Calico Magical - 6x6 Paper Pad
Studio Calico Magical - Adhesive Badges 
 Studio Calico Magical - Chalkboard/Accent Stickers 
Studio Calico Magical - Enamel Dots 
Studio Calico Magical - Mini Alphas - Green
Studio Calico Magical - Sequin Stars
Studio Calico Magical - Vellum Die Cut Shapes 
Studio Calico Magical - Wood Veneer Die Cuts - Starbursts 

Tools:
Heidi Swapp Distresser
Sewing Machine
Sewing Thread
Scissors
Staples
Glue
Double Sided Tape
3x4 Inch Punch

Extra items:
White Cardstock
Kitchen Twine
Blank Cards with Envelopes


 To keep it simple when making my cards I like to buy the premade Blank Cards with envelopes - you can get these at cheap shops or craft shops and come in lots of colours...

First thing I do is trim one of the 6x6 papers - 4in x 5.5in

 

With the second 6x6 patterned paper I cheated a little by punching out a piece with my NEW 3x4 Punch {why not?} but, if you don't have one you could just cut a piece 3in x 4in yourself, then round the edges if you have a corner punch...


I then distress the edges of the patterned paper.


Position your 3x4 paper piece on your background paper piece, then adhere with double-sided tape. If you want to machine stitch around the edge of the 3x4 piece make sure the tape is in the centre so that you don't sew over the top {I learnt the hard way a while ago!}

 

 I have then pulled out all the gorgeous embellishments I had to play with and positioned them so that they "balanced" out. I glued them into position...

I have then grabbed some twine which I have twirled a few times around the star embellishments - when twirling make sure you twirl one way and then the other around each star...


I have then also attached the cute Studio Calico Magical Enamel Dots to the stars, and then glued the Card front to the Blank Card - one card complete!

Using the leftover papers from that card I have created another one...


For my base I have cut a piece of White Cardstock 4in x 5.5in, then layered the leftover pieces. I decided to use my 3x4in punch again to cut one of the pieces.


I then had another play around with my embellishments until I was happy with how they were positioned, and just copied the previous card steps... and this is what I have come up with...


Other cards I made using the other Studio Calico Papers & Embellishments {plus tips!}

I kept the colours of the patterned papers to only 2 or 3...

I made sure I mixed it up with the embellishments to make it interesting...

 The twine helps bring the card "together"...

Using different sized embellies {but same shape} keep the cards interesting as well..

Overlap your embellishments and keep in mind when cutting the "word" papers where they will be on the card {I made sure the "Merry Christmas" was at the top right and not covered up with other paper}


Here I have also highlighted the number "25" seeing as I didn't have a greeting, I thought the focus on the number would be good...
I try to use the rule of using odd numbers for my embellishments {1 flair & 3 of each of the candy stickers and 3 stars}


I used the "strips" from the 6x6 papers "Happy Holidays" and the red strip with white scallops on this card - love using up all the "bits"

This card was one of the last ones I created - as you can see using the "scraps" of patterned papers...


I knew "Merry Christmas" wouldn't look right all in one line on the banner, so I've put Merry at the top and then christmas on the actual banner. I have then used the chipboard stars to cover the blank bits so that it doesn't look bare...

Last tip - Use the word stickers as part of your greeting

I hope you're feeling inspired and want to give Hand-Made Christmas Cards a go! They are really so much fun once you get started! I really can't believe I managed 13 - and that was just in a couple of sessions of creating! Too easy! And I am sure your friends and family will be thrilled to receive a handmade card just from you!

Happy Card-Making!

xo Charm

No comments:

Post a Comment